Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What To Do While You Wait


I choose to keep my personal life just that…personal. However, I wanted to write about what I’ve been doing since I was laid off last month. Before you feel sorry for me….DON’T! God is just setting me up for something better and preparing me for my future in marketing and communications. Anywho, I’ve been applying to jobs nonstop so I can land a great position. In the meantime in between time, I’ve also been doing some other things, mainly enjoying life. I mean seriously who has time to sit around and feel sorry for themselves? Not I. So here’s a short list of things to do while you wait for that call or email saying you got the job.

1.       Get a Hobby

For me, I started what you see here before you today – a blog. I’ve always loved to write, but I always stuck to pen and paper. Now, I get on my laptop and update my blog. Find something that keeps you occupied.

2.       Learn Something New

The day after I was laid off, I started teaching myself to play some of my favorite songs on the piano. My mother is a beast on the keys, but I’ve never truly gotten into playing. Now I enjoy going to the piano and teaching myself new songs. I think I’ll do the guitar next. And you should also take the time to explore and learn something new. It may not be a musical instrument for you, but learn something new.

3.       Exercise

Yes, I know no one really likes that word, but we all need to do it. I am certainly not in great shape, but I’m trying to get better. I cancelled my gym membership so I could save money. However, that doesn’t keep me from exercising. I own workout DVD’s, but I hate them. Therefore, I go to the walk path to walk/run a lot of days. I also work out at home. I’m a year and a month away from 30 years old. I want to enter into my 30’s looking amazing. So, exercise (and eating right) is the key. While you have the free time, you might as well take advantage of it.

4.       Enjoy Your Family and Friends

Over the past several weeks, I’ve had the time of my life with my friends and family. I also gained a new nephew in that time. I’ve been able to spend lots of time with him, go pick up my niece from school, and spend time with the rest of my family. I’ve also enjoyed concerts, rooftops, picnics, and drinks with my friends. Sometimes you’re so tired after work and just want to go home and pass out. Now is the time to get back to your social life. Once you’re back to work, you can then find a way to have a healthy work-life balance.

5.       Network, Network, Network

I could add a lot more to this list, but I’ll end with this one. NETWORK! It’s all about who you know. Thank God that I’ve met some amazing people in my desired field. I’ve attended networking events, and I’m meeting with some mentors to put me on the right path. I refuse to be out of a job for too long. Nope, not going to happen. That’s why I’m on a mission to network and get my name out there. If no one knows you and how great you are, why would they want to hire you? Don’t just hide behind your resume and cover letter. Actually, get out there and network.

No comments:

Post a Comment