Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Experience With Senegalese Twists


My story goes a little something like this. I have wanted to get Senegalese twists for the longest. Being the researcher that I am, of course I did a Google search for the best place to go in Chicago. A couple of places came up. However, there was a blog post by Ishea at www.sixtwentysevenblog.com that really caught my eye. Her twists were gorgeous, and she spoke very highly of the woman who did them. After reading the comments on her blog regarding their experience, I was sold. So, I put the information in my phone, called, and spoke to Nana (773-363-0711). Sidenote – it’s her house number. So PLEASE do not try and text her.
Anyway, back to my story. I asked Nana some general questions and then proceeded to set up an appointment for the following Saturday. She did warn me, however, that the process is faster during a weekday, but I was working at that time and refused to take off just to go get my hair done. Therefore, Saturday it was….or not. After having some reservations about the price and also not wanting to deal with being there for an entire Saturday, I cancelled. And I went through all of this a second time as well since I can never make up my mind. Finally, one day I was really fed up with my hair. I am natural, and I was not trying to deal with this Chicago humidity. Nor am I an expert on natural styles just yet. So I called Nana again and asked for an appointment….the next day (a Thursday). She told me that it wasn’t guaranteed since she had other customers. But if she finished them by early afternoon, she would give me a call. That next morning, I washed and blow dried my hair just in case she called. Around 3:00pm, she called and asked if I could come over right then. She said she would have two women working on me. Needless to say, I made my way to her place quick, fast, and in a hurry.
She has a room set up just for doing hair. There were two other women being serviced, but they were almost done. Around 4:30, one of Nana’s helpers started on the front of my hair. Around 6:30, a second helper started on the back. By 10:30, I was making my way to my car and going home. I don’t know about you, but I think 6 hours is amazing especially for how thick my hair is and how long the twists are. I opted for the long twists, which go all the way to my butt. They were $250. However, you can also do medium which is $220. And Nana provides the hair. Although, Nana didn’t actually twist my hair, she finished the process by dipping my hair in hot water and putting the twists in a bun. Be prepared for your edges to be extra sore, but that soreness goes away after about 2 days.
A few days after getting my twists done


Overall, I love my twists. I’ve had them in for 4.5 weeks, and I still receive compliments on them. I’m only keeping mine for 6 weeks because I’m ready to occupy my scalp and get back to my regular hair. However, they will definitely last longer. If you have any questions about my experience, feel free to ask in the comments section. Otherwise, give Nana a call. You won’t be disappointed.
 
4 weeks and 2 days after getting my twists done

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking about getting twist as well. Are they heavy to wear? I still want to make sure my hair is not damaged in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, my twists weren't heavy. However, my friend had box braids and said hers were heavy. I guess it just depends.

    ReplyDelete