Wednesday, June 26, 2013

We Are The Champions, My Friends!!!


In the words of Mr. West, “If you don't know by now, I'm talkin' about Chi-Town.” What does that line have to do with anything? Not much. I just felt like starting off with a line from a song that so perfectly describes this great city. For those who may not know, I’m totally obsessed with this amazing city that I call home. Okay, I live in the suburbs, but whatever. You get the point lol. Chicago is everything and more! We, by far, have one of the BEST skylines in the world. Summertime in Chicago is unmatched. We’re a city with great museums, eateries….and sports fans. We ride with our teams through thick and thin. I’ve sat in the rain and the freezing cold to cheer on my Bears. I’ve traveled to Miami to cheer on the Bulls in a very hostile environment and would quickly do it again. I LOVE my teams! So, of course, I would go to Wrigleyville on Monday, June 24 to cheer for the Blackhawks as they were on the brink of securing the Stanley Cup against the Boston Bruins in an electrifying Game 6.

Before I left the house, Boston had already scored. Yikes! However, while in route to Wrigleyville, my Blackhawks tied it up. Whoop whoop!! Finally, we arrived up North and tried to find parking as far away from the chaos as possible so we wouldn’t be stuck in traffic later. We had faith in our team, hence our trip to Wrigleyville, and we know how Chicago likes to party. Although just a few short hours before, the sky had turned a dark shade of gray and the floodgates of heaven opened on the city of Chicago, it was now clear. Perfect for a night of celebrating. As we walked along Clark trying to find the perfect bar to watch the 3rd period (yes, we missed all of the second period L), we heard the screams and sighs from all of the passionate Chicago Blackhawks fans. We had to quickly make our way to a bar so we could share in the melting pot of emotions. Thanks to a kind bodyguard at John Barleycorn, we were able to get in and get to celebrating with our fellow Chicagoans. Only one problem, we were now trailing 2-1. Eeeek!!! Come on, Hawks!! 
 

Although, I was prepared to wash out my Hawks shirt and travel to Wrigleyville again IF a Game 7 was necessary, I was hoping that they would make our trip worth it that night. Well, God clearly heard our prayers! My friends and I found a nice spot right in the midst of all of the drunken fans and tuned into the TV. What happened during the short time that we actually watched the game is nothing short of amazing. With 1 minute and 16 seconds left, Bryan Bickell scored to tie the game. *cue Chelsea Dagger* The place went wild!! In the midst of jumping up and down, giving high fives, and singing, beer was flying EVERYWHERE. I’m soooo glad I had my hair in a bun. Just when we had settled down from that brief celebration, the unthinkable happened. We scored again….in a matter of 17 seconds. Unbelievable!!! Repeat the full celebration. Except this time, it lasted much longer. Why? Because by now, there were only 59 seconds remaining. The Boston Bruins never scored again, and the Chicago Blackhawks were the 2013 Stanley Cup Champions! It was a complete madhouse, and I loved every minute of it.

Chicago was now on top again! After my beloved Bears failed to make the playoffs and my Bulls played their hearts out but didn’t make it to the Finals, Chicago sports fans needed a reason to celebrate. For one night, we could unite as a city and do just that. We all came together and had a great time. Somehow, the party spilled out into the streets. Pure pandemonium!!! We danced. We cheered. We jumped up and down. We gave high fives out left and right. When I arrived home around 2am, my feet felt like I had walked on rocks for a week straight. Yet, I went to bed with a smile on my face. Once again, my city was on top. Next up….parade time!
 
 
 
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment